Project: Elementary “Human Impact: Global to Local”
Project: “Human Impact: Global to Local”
Grade: 6th Grade
Content Areas: NGSS: Earth Science, engineering ELA: informational reading, writing, Speaking and listening
Enduring Understanding: Humans impact the earth, and although the impact is large we can make a small difference
Final Product: Prototype and proposal for a solution to a global environmental problem, photo essays for local community organization display
Culminating Experience: How can we understand the impact humans are making on our global community, so that we can positively impact our local community?
Driving Question: How can we apply our knowledge of the CA missions to make recommendations to improve the sustainability of an existing community?
Communicating Experience: Put work on display at City Council Hall. Feedback on prototype and proposal from “end-users”
- Social Studies background on CA Missions
- Energy, Human Impact -Mystery Science
- Innovators Case Study 4. “Community Research” 5. Recommendations and Design Sprint
- Human impact on the earth (deforestation, population, emissions/fuel, pollution)
- How is our community responding? -view models (City environment dashboard and local organizations)
- What else/new can we do? -Design Thinking framework to design a NEW solution to the problem
To download this project overview click here: Elementary_Global to Local