Jennifer Auten is a second grade teacher at Montclaire Elementary School in Cupertino, CA, a teacher ambassador for many edtech products, and presenter at Common Sense Education’s Assessment Outside the Box conference. Jennifer was part of a small pilot of maverick teaches who participated in the partnership between CraftED and Sown to Grow. During this virtual PLC teachers had the opportunity to identify a problem of practice (POP) related to fostering student growth mindset and were then paired with one of CraftED’s teaching strategies to use in tandem with the Sown to Grow student-facing platform. Jennifer used CraftEd’s My Toolkit and Sown to Grow to help students recall the reading strategy resources available to them.When asked why Jennifer landed on this POP she shared:In general the students in my second grade class are strong readers. They read fluently at or above grade level and have a robust vocabulary. However, the finer points of reading comprehension at higher text complexity (level O and above) was proving to be a challenge. I wanted a way to concretely name and showcase different non-fiction reading strategies for the students, have them consciously practice the strategies in their daily reading, and reflect on their comprehension progress.Jennifer describes the CraftED resources, paired with Sown to Grow as…This process was fantastic. It forced me to name and describe strategies beyond “use picture clues” and “look back at the text” and to explain the advantages of the strategy. At the beginning of the week students had to set a goal to practice a particular strategy and at the end of the week reflect on how it went.
Check out our past Teacher Spotlights:
- BIE National Faculty, Telannia Norfar, uses CraftED’s problem solving protocol in her math class.
- Giff of Helix High using CraftED’s services to design a personalized place-based project.
- Holly of Oceanside, CA is using friendly feedback year-round with her kinder students-see how!
- Kate Therriault of Cardiff , CA implemented CraftED’s lesson: Infographics. Kate’s work was featured by Piktochart-check out this coverage on Piktochart’s blog and P21 Blogazine. For more support implementing CraftED’s strategy and lesson, read this guest post by Piktochart on our blog.
- Jen Isbell of Central Coast New Tech was featured on Getting Smart’s blog here for her use of CraftED’s collaboration strategy: Problem Solving Protocol. To view the protocol discussed in Getting Smart’s post visit our store and view the bundled product.