Empower teachers and increase teacher bandwidth to deliver high-quality, deeper learning experiences to students.
The CraftED Promise
With every CraftED resource and service, you are enriching your students' classroom experience and furthering your own professional development as an educator.
- Clear guidance on how to plan and implement quality PBL in any classroom
- Easy PBL planning tools, tips and time savers
- PBL training in convenient formats – workshops, e-courses, books, & more
- A teacher-friendly approach, designed by an experienced educator & PhD
- Simple ways to bring cutting-edge educational theory to classes
- The FIRST series of teaching tools aligned to the Deeper Learning Competencies, Common Core, and Next Generation Science Standards
Jenny took her experiences as a classroom teacher for ten years, combined it with her doctorate studies of teaching and learning theory, and her three years coaching teachers across the country, and birthed the concept of CraftED Curriculum-a resource that could make deeper learning more accessible for teachers and students. grounded in her own struggles and those of teachers she supported, striving to implement deeper learning, Jenny came up with the idea of creating a place where teachers could directly get what they needed to bring the Deeper Learning Competencies to life.
I was a classroom teacher for nine years. I taught grades 5-10 in San Diego, CA.I was a founding staff member of High Tech High North County and taught 9th and 10th grade humanities for five years there. I went on to work with schools, districts, and CMOs across the country as a School Development Coach for New Tech Network for the following three years. I also currently serve as a member of BIE’s National Faculty. In my time working within the Deeper Learning Network I have helped teachers implement engaging teaching practices directly in schools that I coached in CA, NM, AZ and TX, through various national training events for teachers and leaders from over 27 states, and Professional Development for teacher leaders in Australia and teachers in Canada and Mexico.
I am a proud graduate of San Diego State University and the Claremont Colleges. I hold a BA in Political Studies, a Master’s in Cross-Cultural Education, and CA teaching credentials in Multiple Subjects, ELA and Social Science. My doctoral research was an incredible experience that introduced me to my love of philosophy. During my five years at CGU I studied pedagogical works of great minds and ultimately applied this knowledge in a case study that analyzed teacher-student relationships, specifically collegial pedagogy in Project Based Learning. I founded CraftED Curriculum in early 2016 and have had my touch on every element of building the brand and company to date. I live in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA. I am married to a supportive teammate and we are the proud parents of two incredible children.
What Is Deeper Learning?
Deeper learning is an engaging approach to teaching and learning that facilitates real-world applications and skill sets, in order to prepare students to lead and innovate in the 21st century.
When students engage in deeper learning they experience work that impacts the community, both locally and globally. The skillsets gained as a result of learning deeply impact all future endeavors in the life of a student-beyond college and career. Ultimately, these meaningful learning experiences will prepare students for a future that is unknown and will assuredly require true innovators, critical thinkers and problem solvers.
How we get thereThere is no one way to get to deeper learning, rather there are numerous vehicles to take students along the journey of learning deeply. These include:
- Project Based Learning
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Problem Based Learning
- Design Thinking
- Maker labs and schools
- STEAM initiatives
What it producesWhen students are engaged in deeper learning distinct attributes are produced. All CraftED Curriculum’s work is aligned to Hewlett Foundation’s definition of these skillsets and demeanors, known as the Deeper Learning Competencies. The following six competencies are essential to prepare students for success in the 21st century:
- Master core academic content
- Think critically and solve complex problems
- Work collaboratively
- Communicate effectively
- Learn how to learn
- Develop academic mindsets
A Refreshing classroom experiencetraditional classroom vs deeper learning classroom
- Teacher delivers content knowledge to students in a one way transaction
- All content has been previously established and is static
- Students work as independent silos
- Learning is finite with clear pre-determined start and end points and boundaries
- Learning is mastered when students can reproduce existing content on standardized assessments
Deeper Learning Classroom
- Learning is collaborative and reciprocal between teacher and students
- Content is constantly being collectively constructed and is dynamic
- Students recognize and value learning as a social process and are constantly collaborating
- Learning is fluid and limitless
- Learning is achieved when students are asked to create, design, construct, and perform open-ended tasks with aligned assessments.